Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Ep.1: Introduction of Insanity.

To misquote Dr. Seuss, "I know what I said and I said what I meant, an Austin is faithful 100%." I told myself that I was going to start a blog before departing for Japan--a week to be precise. That idea failed miserably. So, I told myself that I was going to start the blog six days before I departed. The life happened--specifically errands galore. But, it is still six days before I leave, and gosh darn it I've started this darn thing and done a post. I might be disorganized at times--I prefer the term slightly absentminded--but when a deadline looms large I will get the job done in advance. In this case advance is about two hours, but that's a tiny detail.

Anyway, let me introduce myself. My name is Austin Schock, and I am currently 22 years old. I was born at exactly 10:00pm on April 15th, 1991, which started my trend of punctuality and the string of complaints that, by the time I eventually die, I'll be lucky to say that I broke even on my birthday. For those of you who don't know, April 15th is tax day in the USA (which kinda sounds like a really bad government jingle). Anyway, in less than six days I will be departing the land of my birth at ungodly:early AM for Japan where I will be teaching English in a small city an hour north of Tokyo proper, and no, I'm not on the road to Viridian City, the place will be closer to Cerulean City. This blog will not, however, be about my experiences working in Japan, because in the Japanese culture the employees are seen as an extension and public face of their workplace. Were I to complain about my place of business on this format, it would be akin to complaining about close familial issues on this very public place--read: very rude and somewhat offensive. Rather, this blog will be my way to express my experiences as an American living abroad. I will be living there at a minimum until September Fourth, 2013, and hope to post at least once a week, if not more often. This week, as I attempt to figure out the format, I hope to post a bit more often to help me practice afore I go, and when I get there--assuming that I'm not too exhausted by customs and travel. I know that one of the posts will detail friends and family that I'm leaving behind, but that must wait until I have enough pictures to do what I want to do. I'm also thinking of starting a video blog, just to try out that format as well...wow, this ending is really rambly. I'm going to need to figure out a better way to end these...anyway, that's it for tonight. I will try to answer all and any questions left on this page. To whomever is reading this, may it find you well, and may this be an exciting adventure for us all.

-Austin Schock, 13/08/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment