Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Ep. 3 A Long Journey

When last I wrote and episode, I was listfully living on the eastern side of a western ocean. Now, this courageous non-caped crusader has nimbly navigated the curvature in order to land one day ahead and eight hours behind, a fact that has left a certain blue simian slightly befuddled--and forgotten in luggage already shipped forward. The current time is 7:11; the place: the East Aeon training facility. The next ten days should prove interesting, but will they be as hellish as the flight across the Pacific? Only time will tell.

So, things started off fairly well yesterday. We got to the airport on time, security was easy--I was picked for random screening, so they scanned my computer. The poor TSA person was very confused until she realized that I had the thing off. Whoops. That flight was not too bad, although I was sitting next to a crabby, old, Hispanic woman. Naturally, the first thing that I said when she sat down was, "Good Morning." She the looked at me a little terrified, and proceeded to tell her friend three rows behind her, in Spanish, that she wanted to switch seats because I was weird and she didn't want to sit next to me. What a great way to start the day.

The landing was a tad fast into LA, but not the worst I've ever had. I looked at my ticked, though, to see what gate I was to go into, and I didn't have one. So, when we disembarked, I looked at the screen and couldn't see my flight. Naturally, I then went to the information desk, and was told to take a bus from a gate just down the way to get to my terminal. That way, I wouldn't have to deal with LA security. As I was walking away, I over heard the information lady tell a woman to follow me. As such, I waited for this person, who turned out to be one of the most interesting people that I met all day. She was on her way to Yellowstone for a new-agey religion conference on how to save the world. I don't remember the name of the religion, but it was passed down to some old guy many years ago by some Cosmic Overseers--as I'm rereading Good Omens at the moment, a certain scene came to mind. My initial reaction was a bit of disbelief and a brief thought that this woman might not be all there, but then I checked myself. I don't tend to have those thoughts when talking with someone about their faith when said faith doesn't involve space aliens, so why should I think her looney just because her faith does? I just think that she was glad someone was willing to hear her out without judging, and we talked all the way to the terminal, where we parted ways.

Well, I managed to find my terminal, especially thanks to the help of an airport employee--the poor man had sprained his arm, and was leaving work early that day to go to the doctor, which I really hope went well--and soon discovered the free WiFi. Using that, I was able to let several people know that I had landed. Soon after, however, the situation started to turn towards the less pleasant as what seemed like five-thousand Japanese children--all wearing matching warning-cone orange shirts--descended onto the terminal and proceeded to yell, scream, and monopolize all but a few seating areas. As such, I moved to a quieter portion of the terminal, and happily read until they started boarding. At that time, they asked if certain people were in the terminal--including me! Apparently, since my flight to LA was with a different carrier, I had to re-check in when I arrived. I had tried to do so when I got there, but the person behind the desk had unhelpfully informed he that he didn't work with the airline. Anywho, so I am reading my book when I hear them ask for, "blah blah blah, blah blah blah, McCain, Schock, blah blah blah..." Now, my first thought was that it might be John McCain, but I squashed that idea. After all, there are probably thousands of McCains, and why would that one be going to Japan? Sure enough, however, it was John McCain, and he wouldn't stop staring at me. I guess he wasn't expecting to see a shorter guy in a purple sweatshirt and a red backpack, but it was kind of creepy. I almost pulled my eyeballs out on him. Anyway, he got his stuff worked out first, then got in line and quickly passed through, being, "important" and all. I, on the other hand, being economy class, expected to wait my turn. I dutifully went forwards, though, to check in, and talked a little with the lady behind the desk. She looked exhausted, and I wished her a less exhausting day, and wouldn't you know it, she scanned my ticket there and then and sent me onto the plane. I guess there really is something for being nice to people.

The next eleven hours were relatively hellish. The seat-belt sign was on for about 75% of the trip, and there were a chorus of five screaming babies. I think that there was about an hour combined period where one of them wasn't making noise. Still, the ride passed eventually, we landed early and zoomed through customs and immigration. I then waited for about an hour for a trainer to pick me up and take me to everyone else--I was one of two arrive in terminal 2, while everyone else was arriving in terminal 1. By the time we arrived at the training house, it was around 8:45pm, but most people were chatting on the way over. We then got our room mates, got our food, and went to bed.

This has been another exciting episode of, "Adventures in the Austentatious." If you liked it, tell your friends; if you hated it, tell your enemies; and if you don't care either way, tell everyone.

PS: Crossing from today into tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment