Sunday, December 29, 2013

Ep 22. Christmas Comes But Once (or Twice) a Yea

Since I'm writing this a week late, this post is going to be a bit short on the details...relatively speaking, at least, that's the plan. Plans change, though, so we'll see what just so happens to come out.

Last week was...interesting. Mentally, it was a rather difficult challenge to stay focused and not completely check out. Overall, while not perfect, I would say that I did a pretty good job. Definitely, the weirdest part was going to work on Christmas, and that's really something that's just such a tiny, but important detail. I have never had to go anywhere on Christmas, and the basic itinerary is the same. Wake up, open presents, play with presents, see a movie, have dinner, and go to sleep comfortable in the knowledge that the future will hold absolutely nothing. Barring that last part, I can safely say that, even if one does go to church on Christmas, that still leaves a good part of the day free to spend time with family. In fact, many of my good Christmas memories are of getting a new game of some kind, and playing it with my sister...which leads to one of the other odd things about the holiday this year: I wasn't with her. Now, my parents are diviorced, and so I often don't see one or the other on Christmas day. That's OK, we just celebrate on another day. However, the one constant that has always been there is my sister. To put it bluntly, this is the first Christmas that I have ever had without Alexa. Through thick and thin, triumphs and trials, we have always had at least this day together...but not this year. I do understand that, as people grow older and start their own lives and their own families, that the complexity can make getting together harder. That fact, however, does not make it any easier for me, though only time will tell the full ramifications.
Anyway, my Christmas was effectively a day ahead of everyone else (yes, we did spend the usual 7 hours together in the same day, but we weren't really awake together for it), meaning that I got to open my presents a day early. This fact lead to a couple of semi-awkward video chats where I opened the presents that I received from family in front of them...while they just watched. More than anything, it was an easy way to say, "thank you" as I opened gifts, but I still felt as though they should be opening something as well. Having said that, I did have a nice Christmas and I received many well thought out and heartfelt gifts.

In return, the gifts that I gave seem to have been well received as well. All in all, a good morning, especially the breakfast. Utilizing home made bread from my new bread maker--such is the life of one without an oven--I quickly whipped up a batch of french toast, which I feasted upon with a glass of sparkling apple juice for company. Needless to say, with all that was going on that morning, I got out of the apartment a little later than I might have liked. All the same, the day went well.
That evening, I decided to do something a little...rash. I went home to change a little bit (and pick up my milk), then hoped a train for Miyahara
My travel buddy


Breakfast, because pictures are being difficult...
A gift from my manager...  :)

Christmas Cake

Happy at the Christmas Party
There I attended a nice party with some friends. We had a glorious feast of grapes, Mac and Cheese (thanks for the care package, mom), and--for the non-vegetarians--KFC. Why fast food on Christmas? Are we really such lazy folk over here that we would sink down to that level? Ha, no. Aside, as I would later learn, from Disney Sea, Japan is devoid of turkey, which somehow got translated as the eternal food of choice for all US winter holidays. While they are lacking in turkey, the Japanese do have other poultry. Somehow, KFC--called Kentucky over here--took off, and marketed brilliantly to become the food of choice during Christmas. According to some friends, it must be pre-ordered over here, and we were lucky to get any at all. "That's insane," you might say, "it's just greasy, poorly made chicken." And while that may be true, that's how the tradition goes over here. The other traditional food that we had was the Christmas cake. 
Oh my goodness, is cake ever important over here at Christmas. And not just any cake; Christmas cake is light and airy, and usually covered in strawberries. The one that we got was Chocolate and a tad denser than usual, but that's what happens when you don't pre-order. Christmas cake is probably the biggest part of the holiday over here; people react much the same way to the fact that we don't have it as many westerners do in the discovery that they have to work on the holiday. Up to this point, I have always had pie on Christmas; in the future, that fact may well change.
The next day, I had another Christmas, this time with the family on their Christmas. As they prepared for dinner, I prepared for work; in essence, we all had two Christmases this year. And who knows what the future will bring; maybe next year there will be two Christmases, or maybe there will be four. I don't know, but I do know that this has been another adventure in the austentatious. If you liked me, tell your friends, if you hated me, tell your enemies, and if you don't care either way, then tell everyone. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment